The small print of your contract
You can contact our Security Officer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org if you put FAO Security Officer in the email.
Privacy and Security
We may use the information you provide us for:
- Services you have asked for (loyalty/incentive schemes)
- Offering you products and services from our partners.
- Helping run and improve our services and products.
- Creating statistics and marketing reports. We may investigate how much gas and electricity you use from meter reading on your account.
- Contacting you about products and services that we are offering.
How we will contact you:
We will always attempt to contact you first by your preferred method of contact that will be stated on your account. That could be one of the followings:
- SMS/Text Messaging
- Other forms of electronic communication (including webchat, Facebook, Trustpilot and Twitter)
- We may visit you under certain circumstances
Information we may collect about you:
Information you provide us via phone conversations, emails, social media, electronic communication and filling out online forms via our website. Each time you connect to our website we may capture information about the device you are using at the time and some information stored within the device. We may also use GPS technology to determine your location. You will be asked to allow this feature if it is a requirement.
The personal information we collect about you:
What will we collect?
- Contact Data: This includes your name, postal address, email address, Date of birth, phone number and any other information we may need to contact you or identify you.
- Financial Information: This includes your bank account and payment details relating to the services provided by Brilliant Energy Supply Ltd.
- Energy Supply Data: This will be data related to your meter that we collect including consumption, meter technical information and supply dates.
- Technical Data: Please see What are Cookies? Section.
- Priority Services/Vulnerable Customer Data: This is the data we keep identifying the extra services you may require. This includes health and financial vulnerability data.
Please remember that it is important that your personal data is kept up to date. If there are any changes to your personal data, please let us know.
When we collect this data?
Brilliant Energy (and our customer service advocates) collect certain information from and about you during the enrolment journey and when you get in contact with us or use our website and self-service features.
Use of this data:
- We may also use collected data to improve our services we provide you. This data will be anonymised to protect your identity.
- For Training, Quality and security purposes we may also record and monitor any communications between you and Brilliant Energy. These communications include but are not limited to Phone conversations, Email, Webchat, Twitter and Facebook.
We will only use personal information where we can by law. Generally, this will be under one of the following circumstances.
- Improving website and services.
- Giving you the information that you have asked for.
- To notify you if we change anything on our website such as our products.
- Asking you to fill out surveys/feedback forms on our website and products.
- To verify your identity and/or location to allow access to your account and to conduct online transactions.
When you first provide your information to Brilliant Energy Ltd you are given the chance to opt in and out of receiving further marketing relating to third party companies that we may become involved with may in the future. At any time during your time with Brilliant Energy you can choose to opt in and out of this by emailing us at email@example.com.
Disclosing your personal Information:
We may allow a certain types or organisation as stated below in our access to your personal information table, organisations including the following:
- Metering Services: who provide our engineering services and Industry data collection.
- Customer Relationship Management Provider (CRM): IT and System administration services.
- Contact Centre(s): Business process outsourcing(BPO) partners, System administration and IT
- Price Comparison Websites: which may take your information if you decide to get a quote and(or) switch to Brilliant Energy.
- Credit Check Agency
- Debt Collection Agencies: Please see our Terms and conditions.
- Professional Services: such as the following lawyers, bankers, auditors, insurers, private consultants, legal and insurance services.
- Regulators and authorities: services based in the UK who we need to report to about what we are doing with your personal data.
Our third parties who only process data on our behalf won’t use your personal data for their own purposes and we only permit them to use it in accordance with our instructions and the law.
Disclosing information outside the EU
Sometimes the organisations listed above may be outside the European Economic Area (EEA). If we, our agents or our service providers do this, we’ll always make sure that these organisations adequately secure your personal information. We always ensure our third-party service providers operate with the highest of security standards.
We may also ask your previous energy supplier for personal information (Meter Readings etc), about you that will allow us to take over your supply. Similarly, if you switch away, we may provide similar information to your new supplier, so they can begin supplying your energy.
Storage/Protection of this data:
All information will be stored on secure servers protected to the highest standards.
We follow strict security procedures to protect your data, therefore when you contact us you may be asked to verify some personal details to proceed.
Any payment transactions carried out by us or our third-party provider will be encrypted.
When we give you a password we ask that you keep that password confidential and to not share it with anyone else.
We will only hold your personal data for as long as necessary for the reason we collected it, while complying to any legal requirements.
You have legal rights with regards to your personal information. These are the following:
- Request access to a copy of your personal information.
- Request erasure of your personal information.
- Request correction of your personal information.
- Object to processing of your personal data.
- Request a transfer of your personal data.
- Withdraw consent to your personal data.
To access any of the above services please send the request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In accordance to GDPR requirements, please allow up to 40 days for Brilliant Energy to process your request.
From time to time we may send you marketing emails that you subscribe to during the registration process. You can contact us anytime to unsubscribe from them.
Processing your Personal Data
This section will cover some activities we (Brilliant Energy and our agents) do and the data we process:
|Activity||Type of data||Lawful purpose of use|
|Training our staff for phone/email/chat
and social media activities.
Recoding of calls
|Necessary for us to run our business to
train staff to the highest of standards
Providing Services for you
Collect money owed to us
Priority service register
Marketing and communications data
Special categories of data
Necessary for us to run our business
Perform the activities you have contracted us to.
|Internal reporting||Contact data||This is necessary to improve our services.
The data is anonymised before use.
We use programs such as Google Analytics and Facebook Ads to monitor web traffic for the purposes but may not be limited to the following;
- Number of visitors on our website;
- The most popular method of getting to our website;
- How long people spend on certain pages;
- Browser types;
- Operating systems;
- Track non-sensitive text typed into websites.
For more information on the services provided by these programs please see the following, you can also at any time refer to the following sites to stop us collecting this data:
It is important to note than some cookies are vital for the functionality of some of our services.
Terms and Conditions
To view our full terms and conditions please download the PDF from the link below:
Complaints Handling Procedure and Reporting
Making a Complaint
We want to make everything as easy for you as possible. However, sometimes things do go wrong, we will do our best to put things right as quickly as we can. Please explain what the problem is and why you think we have done something wrong by contacting us by: -
If you experience a problem, please call our customer services team on 0333 442067. We will try to sort things out straight away, and most problems get resolved on the phone. Please quote your customer number when you contact us.
If you feel your issue has not been addressed properly or in the correct time frame, and you can ask for the complaint to be escalated to our support team.
Our customer services team can be contacted 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday, except Bank Holidays.
Or you can also contact us by post:Complaints Team
Brilliant Energy Supply Ltd.
One Canada Square
If you feel your issue has not been addressed properly or in the correct time frame, and you can ask for the complaint to be escalated to our dedicated complaint resolution team.
The team will look into the issue further and keep you up to date on its progress. We will respond within ten working days and propose how to put things right.
When we have completed our investigations, we’ll explain what we’ve found and what we propose to put things right. Our response could include some or all of these:
- An apology
- Explanation from Brilliant Energy Supply Ltd.
- Redress/Goodwill gesture from Brilliant Energy Supply Ltd. (if applicable)
- A service or practical action. For example, remove charges if you have been incorrectly billed
If you're still not satisfied after following steps 1 and 2, ask the person dealing with your complaint to refer it to the Senior Complaints Manager. They will carry out a thorough investigation and work with you to resolve the problem. We will provide a final resolution to your complaint.
We hope there won't be a need to move on any further - we really do want to put things right if they've gone wrong. But if, after following our complaints process in full, you're not satisfied with our Final Resolution letter or we haven't been able to resolve your complaint within 8 weeks, then you can pass your complaint over to Ombudsman Services: Energy.
This is a free, impartial service for gas and electricity consumers which investigates customer complaints in a fair and unbiased way – their decision is binding on us however, the ombudsman can only accept your case if:
- The case regards gas and electricity bills.
- The problems which arise are a result of switching energy supplier.
- There is an issue with the way an energy product or service has been sold to you (including door step sales).
- The case relates to the supply of energy to your home (e.g. when you experience a power cut).
- The case relates to micro generation and Feed-In Tariffs (FITs).
You will not be able to go to the Ombudsman Services unless you have followed our complaints process. The Ombudsman can recommend various types of redress that you can either accept or reject but if you accept them, then we are obliged to comply. The types of redress include an apology, explanation, remedial action and monetary compensation in appropriate circumstances.
- Call: 0330 440 1624 (text phone 0330 440 1600)
- email: email@example.com
- Visit: www.ombudsman-services.org/energy
You can get independent help from Citizens Advice consumer service at any stage of the complaints process. It gives you free, confidential and impartial advice on issues so you that know your rights as an energy customer
Visit www.citizensadvice.org.uk/energy, call 03454 04 05 06 or download their guide to knowing your rights.
Click here to see the Brilliant Energy Complaints Quarterly Performance Report Q1 2018
Credit Balance Refund
If you pay by fixed monthly Direct Debit, at certain points of the year your energy use may vary up and down. Due to this you may have credit on your account which would normally come off your bill in time your energy usage is high. You can still request a refund from us, we will need a meter reading at the time of the request and we will also let you know if future Direct Debits need to change to get the balance as close to zero as possible.
For further details, please see section 12; Payment and charges – refunds in our terms and conditions.
Back Billing Process
A back bill occurs when you are sent a bill by your gas and electricity supplier where you have not been correctly charged for your energy usage.
A back billing process applies where your supplier is at fault, they will not look for any additional payment for any unbilled energy used for more than 12 months.
Examples where Back Billing would apply is if your supplier:
- Has failed to bill you, but you have requested a bill.
- If you are you billed using estimated meter readings and did not act on the information you have provided.
- Did not do anything regarding a query or fault you have raised regarding your account or meter and this has caused a large debt to occur on your account.
- If the bill is dated over the allowed 12 month period.
Examples where Back Billing would not apply:
- Using electricity or gas and you have not made any contact with your supplier
- Avoiding paying your bill on purpose.
- Not allowing your supplier to carry out meter readings on your property or not replying to contacts attempts made in relation to gaining accurate billing information.
Debt Assignment Protocol
Switching with Debt
- If you have debt to your supplier and it is less than 28 days old you can switch and the debt will be added to your final bill from your old supplier.
- If you have debt greater than 28 days old you will need to pay that before being able to switch suppliers.
- If the debt is the energy suppliers fault then they cannot stop you from switching.
Debt Assignment Protocol(Prepayment Meter only)
- If you have debt on a prepayment meter you can switch supplier, as long as that debt is under £500 for each service.
- Your new supplier will take on the pre-existing debt and you will be paying it off with them based on the terms they set.
Free advice about switching
For free advice on switching contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline, you can also visit Ofgem's website for advice on Who to contact if it's difficult paying energy bills.
Please find our Guaranteed Standards downloadable here
We the supplier may require access to service, collect information from or even repair the equipment used to supply gas and/or electricity to your property. It is our responsibility and we reserve the right to gain access to the property with advance notice, unless deemed as an emergency. Access for authorised persons:
You will allow us, the Transporter, Distributor or any other person authorised by the Transporter, Distributor or us full, free and safe rights of access to your Premises
- At all time if the Transporter, Distributor or we think it is necessary to stop and/or disconnect the supply to avoid danger to life or property: and
- At all reasonable times for any other purpose authorised by the Gas act 1986 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/44 or the Electricity Act 1989 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7 .
Our promise to you is that our technicians/engineers will possess identification for the organization they work for and have training in the scope of work they will be there to do.